Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Caroline Skjong-Nilsen


“All in all, I will always draw and paint and build a portfolio of what ever comes to mind.”

In the creative watercolors and drawings of Caroline Skjong-Nilsen, the wide variety of colorful elements seem to dance around the composition, allowing her work to really come to life. Each piece of Caroline's is strange and beautiful in its own right and leaves the viewer to wonder about her imagination: what else is in there?

GE: Your imagery is very imaginative – where/how do you come up with your stuff?
Say What?, Charcoal & Colored Pencil. 2011
CSN: The majority of my artwork comes from work I have discovered online or other artist's work I have become fond of. Of course I add a twist to it by adding a creative design or using Rosemaling swirls, which are flowers that come from my Norwegian background

GE: As someone who works with artist’s books as a medium, what do you find so interesting about them and/or why do you like working with them?
CSN: I enjoy using books as a medium because it is somewhat a 3-D design I created. I like the idea of my portfolio or a series of my work in a small or large neatly organized binding. I am not the most organized person in the world but creating these books is a challenge, which takes my art to another level for me.

Rosemaling, Watercolor. 2011

GE: Are you attempting to work in the style of any particular artist? What artists influence your work?
CSN: I really enjoy the art of Conrad Roset. He is an amazing Spanish watercolor artist I discovered on the internet; he has influenced a lot of my watercolors. Marion Bolognesi also is another influence I adore. As everyone knows I am obsessed with eyes; his work is something that I would love to study more, particularly his use of colors and technique.

In My Head, Charcoal & Colored Pencil. 2011
GE: How would you describe your own style?
CSN: Loose, colorful with bold black outlines. I like my subjects to be defined and I have always enjoyed my use of different and bright colors to de­scribe my personality because I although I may come across as shy person when in reality, I'm a burst of energy.

GE: What kind of art career are you hoping to attain after college?
CSN: I sadly am still thinking of what I truly want to pursue in life after my college experience. As of right now, I am working for an editor for Idoll magazines. Working with magazines and somewhat in the fashion industry is something that I find exciting and will always keep me busy. Or something with photography, which my sister has a small business and I would love to help her grow and succeed with. All in all, I will always draw and paint and build a portfolio of what ever comes to mind.

Eye, Charcoal & Colored Pencil. 2011

GE: Abstract art vs. realism – does one have more value than the other and why or why not?
CSN: I respect abstract and realism art. I tend to lean more towards the realism art more because I truly envy how people could paint like that. I believe realism has more value to it because of the natural ability the artist has to make anyone as real as possible through drawing or painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment