Monday, January 2, 2012

Becca Demetriades

"All I could ever ask for in life is to always be surrounded by and directly engaged with great art."

While her photography explores a variety of themes and subjects, the work of Becca Demetriades stays consistent in its degree of elegance and mysterious demeanor.

GE: When and why did you first get into photography and when did you decide to take it seriously? 
Untitled, Film Photography. 2011
BD: I think my father put a camera in my hands within the first hour I was born. It was never a conscience decision for me to get into photography, it was just something I was always in.  I suppose I started taking it seriously when I took my first photography class as a sophomore in high school. That was the first time I entered a darkroom and learned the medium as an art form rather than a hobby.

GE: What do you like better film or digital - & why?   
BD: I’ve always favored film.  With film I feel like I have more control.  There’s more work involved from shooting to developing to printing - all of it is literally in my hands.  With digital, once I take the photo it’s like, “well, that’s it.”  Of course, there are always things that can be manipulated but with film, that little click is just the beginning of the process.

Untitled, Digital Print. 2011
GE: Given the decrease in popularity of film, do you think that film photography will someday cease to exist?
BD: I certainly hope not. There’s a quality about film that just cannot be replicated with digital photography.  The fact that film is still being taught in various schools gives me hope that generations ahead will continue to be inspired by the medium.

GE: What artists do you use as role models for your work?
BD: Sally Mann is a huge inspiration to me.  Although many find her work very controversial, I hardly see the issue.  Her photography is real.  Mann was the first artist to move me with her photographs.  I also find Michael Ian Goulding’s photography very influential.  The way he photographs nudes in terms of lighting and composition is very unique and truly beautiful.  Honestly, my list of role models is never ending.

Untitled, Digital Print. 2011

   GE: How does your early work differ from what you're doing now?
BD: Now my work has focus. My early work bounced around trying to get a taste of every genre imaginable.  When I first sat down to come up with a themed body of work that theme was a summer trip to Europe - could there be a broader topic?  Now when I go to work, I usually have something specific I’d like to explore.

Untitled, Digital Print. 2011

GE: Given that most of your recent work is based off images from your travels in Italy, what other place in the world would you want to take pictures?
BD: Anywhere and everywhere!



GE: Where would you like a career in art to take you?
BD: I’d like a career in art to take me to other art.  Knowing that people are still striving to make something beautiful in this world gives me a reason to get up each day.  All I could ever ask for in life is to always be surrounded by and directly engaged with great art.

Untitled, Digital Print. 2010
 
GE: Do you think it’s important for a professional artist to pick a specific medium in which s/he specializes or is it okay to create works in a variety of media?
BD: I think both options are perfectly acceptable.  There’s only one reason to become a profession artist and that’s passion.  If someone becomes an artist for the money, well, they’re going to go hungry fast.  As long as an artist has the passion and the drive, I encourage he/she to create anything that can be created.

No comments:

Post a Comment